Marina and the Diamonds – ‘Power and Control’

0

The second single from Electra Heart is the hard-hitting ‘Power and Control’ and with ‘Primadonna’ as the brilliant first single, it has a tough act to follow. A strong choice from Marina Diamandis, perhaps choosing it for it’s direct comment on the power struggle in relationships. However, critics have claimed that Marina has lost her musical flare by singing under alter-ego, Electra Heart. Rather than singing about the things that matter in society, she has turned to singing of love and relationships like every other female solo artist in the chart. Despite this, Marina is still producing great pop music and hitting her target audience.

It’s eerie opening grabs the listener from the onset with the simple piano keys accompanying Marina’s echoing vocals. As the song progresses it ebbs and flows from quiet verses with nothing but Marina’s voice and the single piano and choir-esque arpeggios in the background, to the stronger chorus where the drums and various other instruments are introduced. This could demonstrate the message she is trying to portray. The too-ing and frow-ing of power and control in a relationship, as she claims “Women and men we are the same / But love will always be a game”

7/10

Share.

About Author

I’m Megan Downing, an English Literature graduate from University of Southampton. I am the Music, Arts and Culture Editor for The National Student. I am the Membership and Communications Officer for the Student Publication Association, I write about music for 7BitArcade, and contribute regularly to The Culture Trip. I have a passion for live music and this is where I began in student journalism. Reviewing a gig or festival is still where my heart lies four years on. I will be starting at MTV as a News Intern in June 2015. One thing you should know about me is that I have an unhealthy obsession with Kevin Spacey.

Leave A Reply