Hello! At The Edge we are passionate about movies, and we want you to write for us. In 2010, The Edge launched the ARCHIVE section, a series of articles and reviews that takes a critical look at releases from the past. This allows students to review movies without having to see all the latest cinema releases. ARCHIVE has been given a surge of new life, with articles now published frequently on this shiny new website, but we want more!
If you haven’t written for The Edge before, and want to get involved in writing about film, then you are eligible to enter our competition. Thanks to those lovely people at Metrodome Distribution Ltd, we have two copies of The Gunfighter’s Pledge (released on DVD October 31) to give away. The copies will go to the two best ARCHIVE reviews!
To enter, email your reviews for the ARCHIVE section to email@example.com . Please put ‘ARCHIVE COMP ENTRY’ in the subject box. Don’t attach documents – just send the review as a normal email. Include your full name, email address (either personal, or Uni – doesn’t matter), accommodation or house address and your student ID. Submit your entries before October 30. Winners will be announced on this site during the week beginning Monday 31 October. Read all the details and T&Cs at the bottom of this post. Good luck!
The Gunfighter’s Pledge Synopsis:
Ex-Sherriff Matt Austin (Luke Perry- The Fifth Element) rides into town with a score to settle after a man he put away for life escapes and ruins his quiet ranch retirement. Sighting the wanted man in a saloon a bloody gun battle ensues setting in motion events that turn the tide in the lives of the sleepy town. Caught in the crossfire is a Mexican land-owner who, as a dying wish, makes Austin pledge to save his land and family. Little does Austin know, the farmer’s land is threatened by the evil Lamar Horn (C. Thomas Howell – Hidalgo), who owns the town, along with a handful of henchmen who terrorize his victims. He has also taken the hunted convict under his wing…. The Gunfighter’s Pledge is a classic western tale of justice and revenge.
The details you must read before submitting:
1) You must not have had anything published on The Edge before, or be a committee member. What University year you are in does not matter.
2) You must pick a film to review that was released in cinemas before January 01 2011.
3) You must give it a grading out of five (but please do not submit reviews for films you rate 1 star for the ARCHIVE section – they are reserved for the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL series).
4) The review must be roughly between 400 and 600 words in length.
5) The review must be entirely your own work, and please do not spoil the film for those who are yet to see it! Be careful how you describe the plot.
6) There are no limits to how many reviews you can submit. Just keep them coming. The more you enter, the better chance you may have. But remember – it is always about quality rather than quantity. We will be judging how good the review is, not how many you can produce.
Terms & Conditions: Open only to current students of The University of Southampton. The competition will be judged by Film Editor Barnaby Walter, Editor Joe Hawkes and Deputy Editor Meowea Hezwani. Their decision is final. No cash alternative will be given. Only entries fit for publication will be published. Decision to publish content is at the Editor’s discretion.