- 0/10 – Awful. Do not watch/play/read at all. Has no redeeming characteristics.
- 2/10 – Poor. Few, if any redeeming characteristics.
- 4/10 – Fair. It’s alright but overall is slightly disappointing.
- 6/10 – Good. Enjoyable, but may not be to anyone’s taste.
- 8/10 – Excellent! Satisfaction is guaranteed, a great piece of work.
- 10/10 – Classic! Brilliant in every way, no failings at all.
* Ratings out of 10 are used for all reviews EXCEPT for reviews of university productions. In this case, a star rating out of five should be used, and put alongside the show title as the article title.
– Single episode reviews should only be done of the first or last episode of a series. These articles should explore the positives and negatives as well as giving context to the episode and general information about the programme.
- Title format: Review: Girls (Series 2, episode 1)
– Series reviews can be done at the end of a series, or at a suitable halfway point. These articles should go into detail about important themes and elements of the programme, identifying episodes and story-lines of interest.
- Title format: Review: Revolution series 1
– Flashback reviews are articles about an older television programme. These should be written in the same way as series reviews.
- Title format: Flashback: Veronica Mars series 1
– NB: Reviews should end with additional information about the show in italics. This text depends on whether the programme is still on or has ended.
- e.g. Girls is broadcast on Sky Atlantic on Thursdays at 10pm.
- e.g. Veronica Mars series 1 is distributed by Warner Bros and is available now on DVD.
– Featured image: This should be a still taken from the film, not a DVD cover.
Video game reviews:
– Video game reviews should discuss positives and negatives of gameplay, story-lines and characters. Any technical problems within the game should be mentioned alongside graphics and character movement.
- Title format: Review: Pokemon Yellow
- NB: Reviews should end with additional information about the game in italics e.g. Pokemon Yellow is available on Gameboy.
- Featured image: This should be a still from game play.
- Title format: Othello at the Olivier Theatre, London
- Title format: Fame ★★★☆☆
– Comedy reviews should discuss the performer and their stage presence, identifying particularly engaging parts of their routine.
- Title format: Russell Brand’s Messiah Complex World Tour, Guildhall (26/11/2013)
– NB: Reviews should end with additional information about the show in italics.
- e.g. Othello is showing at the Olivier Theatre, London, until 5th October 2013. Tickets can be purchased here. (Insert hyperlink to ticket-purchasing website)
- e.g. Russell Brand’s Messiah Complex World Tour continues until 16th December 2013. Tickets can be purchased here. (Insert hyperlink to ticket-purchasing website)
– Featured image: This should be a recent press shot or show poster.
– Book reviews can range in content but should detail the reason for choosing the book and a background about the author. Also important is the writing style, plot, and high and low points.
- Title format: Review: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
- NB: Reviews should end with additional information about the book in italics. e.g. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is written by J. K. Rowling and is distributed by Bloomsbury.
- Featured image: This should be a picture of the front cover.