The Maccabees – ‘Ayla’

1

The fourth single from what is said to be one the best albums of 2012, Given To The Wild by The Maccabees, is the wonderful ‘Ayla’. Personally ‘Ayla’ is my favourite track from the album and has grown to be one of the best tracks in recent times. I know this is a massive thing to say but I really feel that this song perfectly demonstrates the development from Wall of Arms to Given To The Wild. The Maccabees have certainly matured and taken a risk with it. Surprisingly (and frustratingly) Ayla is rarely played in their live show so I’m hoping the release will mean we can look forward to this for gigs to come.

The song begins with a beautiful piano riff which maintains the pace throughout the track. Orlando’s ever improving echoing vocals come in and send tingles down the spine. As he sings “The wait is over”, I feel for some fans of The Maccabees as the wait is definitely over as they deliver what is, in my eyes, their most powerful track yet. The simplicity of the video enhances the track, you see guitarist Hugo White cycling through the English countryside and not much else. It is anthemic and simply beautiful.

The single is expected to be released on 17th September

9/10

Share.

About Author

I’m Megan Downing, an English Literature graduate from University of Southampton. I am the Music, Arts and Culture Editor for The National Student. I am the Membership and Communications Officer for the Student Publication Association, I write about music for 7BitArcade, and contribute regularly to The Culture Trip. I have a passion for live music and this is where I began in student journalism. Reviewing a gig or festival is still where my heart lies four years on. I will be starting at MTV as a News Intern in June 2015. One thing you should know about me is that I have an unhealthy obsession with Kevin Spacey.

1 Comment

Leave A Reply