Enter Shikari – ‘Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here’

0

One day I would love to see Enter Shikari write about flowers and rainbows instead of always writing pessimistic, angry songs about sticking it to the man. This theme runs throughout all three studio albums (with the odd song about space) and their new single ‘Warm Smiles Do Not Make You Welcome Here’ is no different. Perhaps they should continue in the same vein as their Carly Rae Jepsen cover of ‘Call Me Maybe’. Anyway, enough about what they should be doing, despite the theme being very predictable the single in fact is pretty darn good! The message behind the song is indeed very compelling and rarely touched upon. It expresses the bands annoyance at the amount of manufactured acts that are producing simple music and selling more records than an original and inventive band like themselves. The music video for the track sums this up with the prevalence of a clone factory.

Taken from the multi-genred third studio album A Flash Flood of Colour, the new single is less adventurous for a band that are renowned for creatively mixing genres. It seems to stick to a safer pop/rock sound whilst still keeping it exciting. Rou Reynold’s vocals throughout are noticeable at once and, like in almost all of their other songs, he showcases his screaming abilities towards the end of the track. It is, as a whole, a solid new single for the band. Die hard fans might find it a little boring but it is likely to bring in a wider audience due to it’s simplicity and ‘chart friendly’ nature.

6/10

Share.

About Author

I’m Megan Downing, an English Literature graduate from University of Southampton. I am the Music, Arts and Culture Editor for The National Student. I am the Membership and Communications Officer for the Student Publication Association, I write about music for 7BitArcade, and contribute regularly to The Culture Trip. I have a passion for live music and this is where I began in student journalism. Reviewing a gig or festival is still where my heart lies four years on. I will be starting at MTV as a News Intern in June 2015. One thing you should know about me is that I have an unhealthy obsession with Kevin Spacey.

Leave A Reply