Kanye West – Yeezus
Released June 18th 2013, Roc-A-Fella Records
Kanye’s sixth studio album, Yeezus, has been hugely successful. The record, which began in a hotel in Paris, and took inspiration from the city’s architecture including Le Corbusier and The Louvre, topped charts all over the world including the UK, US and Australia. Having been certified gold in the US (meaning it’s sold over half a million copies), the album features collaborations and production from huge names like Daft Punk, Frank Ocean and Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), and with the late Lou Reed calling it “majestic and inspiring”, it was a landmark release of 2013.
- Included in 24% of contributors lists
- Of those, it was included in 57% of people’s top 3
- 2 contributors ranked the record #1
Listening to this album was a life changing experience.
– Ronan Brennan, Edge Reader, ranked the album #3
Kanye West is an artist unparalleled in contemporary music. While the majority of the world’s population think he’s a massive idiot, it must be (begrudgingly or otherwise) accepted that he does have an incredible talent for crafting exquisite music. Yeezus is everything that music should be; provocative, reflective, inspiring and exciting. Nothing else released in 2013 could possibly hope to match the dizzy heights that West achieves on Yeezus.
– Howell Davies, Deputy Editor, ranked the album #1
- Ranked #1 in The Guardian’s ‘Best albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #1 in Time’s ‘Top 10 Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #2 in NME’s ’50 Best Albums of 2013’ list
- Ranked #2 in Pitchforks’s ‘Top 50 Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #2 in Rolling Stone’s ’50 Best Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #3 in Clash’s ‘Top Albums of 2013’ list