Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires of the City
Released May 14th 2013, XL Recordings
One of the most critically aclaimed albums of the year, Vampire Weekend’s third album Modern Vampires of the City has been cited by many major magazines as their record of the year. Nominated for Best Alternative Music Album at the Grammy Awards, the record reached the top 10 in countries all over the world.
- Appeared in over 25% of people’s picks
- Out of those, 50% included the album in their top 3
In a year full of genre saturation and extravagant rollouts, Modern Vampires of the City proved to be the perfect concomitant to my final year of university. Not only did its themes of maturation and questioning aimlessness chime with my train of thought, it provided me with some of the most lugubriously scintillating melodies I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, namely, the absolutely perfect ‘Step’. Campus life has left Ezra and Co. as it will leave us all eventually, and this LP ensures you have something to hum to as you face stark reality.
– Jan Kobal, Records Editor, ranked the album #2
It had been a long wait but Vampire Weekend’s sound evolved once again for Modern Vampires of the City… arguably their weakest album title to date. The structure and melody of tracks like ‘Step’, ‘Everlasting Arms’ and ‘Unbelievers’ represented a progression from 2010’s Contra, presenting another excellent record.
– Howell Davies, Editor, ranked the album #3
- Ranked #1 in Rolling Stone’s ’50 Best Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #1 in Pitchforks’s ‘Top 50 Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #4 in The Guardian’s ‘Best albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #9 in Clash’s ‘Top Albums of 2013’ list.
- Ranked #8 in MOJO’s ‘Top 50 Albums of 2013’ list