The 1975 – The 1975
Released 2nd September 2013, Dirty Hit/Polydor records
The band’s debut album, The 1975, shot to number one in the UK album charts, and has spawned numerous hit singles, including ‘Chocolate‘. Said single was voted as Zane Lowe’s ‘Hottest Record of 2013’ by listeners of BBC Radio 1. The self-titled album has now been certified silver in the UK. Not bad for their debut record.
- Included in 21% of people’s picks
- Of those 33% of people included it in their top 3
- Was ranked #1 by one contributor
The 1975 are an intriguing quartet, primarily a raw and unabashed rock group, whilst on the other hand a shimmering, post-modern and mournful pop group. It’s this dualism that makes for an enthralling debut album from the group. Sonically similar to elements of Bloc Party’s debut and just as lyrically unique, The 1975 delivered some of the most catchy, guitar records of the year with the guitar-heavy ‘Chocolate’ and the more classic vibes of their trademark single ‘Sex’ with professional accuracy. Yet alongside these are ambient, searching instrumental fragments, which truly add another dimension to their sound and sees the band elevated above the usual indie-rock raucous crowd.
– David Martin, Editor 2012-2013, ranked the album #3
- Ranked #1 in The Guardian’s ‘Ten best albums of 2013 – readers choice’ list.
- Included in XFM’s ’50 Best Albums of 2013′ list