Kendrick Lamar – good kid, m.A.A.d city
Released 22nd October 2012, Interscope
Following up to 2011’s Section.80 comes Kendrick Lamar’s first major label release good kid, m.A.A.d city. The twenty five year old’s record peaked at number two on the Billboard 200 Chart in America, and featured other well known rappers including Drake, Dr. Dre and Jay Rock.
- 16% of contributors included the album in their top ten
- Of those, 20% ranked the album in their top three
Review by Tom Saunderson, Edge writer (ranked the album #6):
Kendrick Lamar hit us late 2012 with an autobiographical concept album chronicling his growth in Compton, including skits featuring his own family and friends. Although more traditional than Death Grips popular outing, good kid, m.A.A.d city keeps it fresh with unbeatable flow, killer beats, and lyrics deeper than they first appear.
- Ranked #1 on BBC’s “Top 25 Albums of 2012”
- Ranked #1 on Pitchfork’s “Top 50 Albums of 2012”
- Ranked #2 on SPIN’s “50 Best Albums of 2012”