Preview: Clarence Darrow at The Old Vic, London (28th May – 15th June 2014)

0

Kevin Spacey marks his ten year anniversary as the artistic director of London’s The Old Vic theatre this year, and to commemorate the occasion he is returning to the role of pioneering lawyer, Clarence Darrow. Spacey will be performing Rintel’s one man tour-de-force, Clarence Darrow, from May 28th until June 15th. The frenzy to get tickets when they went on sale in early April was intense. Phone lines were stacked up, making it impossible to get through and an online queue of 3,000+ meant tickets were hard to get hold of. After the recent popularity of the Netflix original series House of Cards, in which Spacey plays the cut-throat Frank Underwood, this is hardly surprising.

Following the critically acclaimed Old Vic production of Inherit the Wind and the PBSfilm Darrow, Spacey will be returning to the role of Darrow, going solo on the stage. Thea Sharrock directs him in the one man show in which the larger than life Darrow, with his legendary wit, relives some of his pivotal experiences, including the infamous Scopes ‘Monkey’ and ‘Thrill Killers’ trials which established his reputation as a courtroom giant and civil rights hero.

The Old Vic released a second batch of tickets due to the insane demand on the original sale day, giving more people the opportunity to witness Spacey at his best. For more details of tickets and the creative team behind the production, head to The Old Vic’s website.

Share.

About Author

I’m Megan Downing, an English Literature graduate from University of Southampton. I am the Music, Arts and Culture Editor for The National Student. I am the Membership and Communications Officer for the Student Publication Association, I write about music for 7BitArcade, and contribute regularly to The Culture Trip. I have a passion for live music and this is where I began in student journalism. Reviewing a gig or festival is still where my heart lies four years on. I will be starting at MTV as a News Intern in June 2015. One thing you should know about me is that I have an unhealthy obsession with Kevin Spacey.

Leave A Reply