To Kill A King – ‘Cold Skin’

0

‘Cold Skin’ is the first single from To Kill A King‘s debut album Cannibals With Cutlery due for release on 24th February and it demonstrates the standard we should expect from the eagerly awaited record. It’s a fantastic song with fantastic lyrics and a fantastic music video to go alongside (it really is fantastic). I feel we’re ahead of the game by picking up on a band that are set for amazing things in 2013, unlike the BBC who omitted them from the Sound of 2013 list. With a headline tour and support slot on Bastille‘s upcoming tour, they are definitely one’s to watch. To Kill A King’s appeal comes from their unique style of indie-folk and frontman, Ralph Pelleymounter’s, synonymous baritone vocals singing out heartfelt lyrics. The rest of the band, made up of  Ian Dudfield, Josh Platman, Jonathan Willoughby and Ben Jackson, all work in perfect harmony with Ralph, each adding a unique element.

‘Cold Skin’ has the raw edge that comes with To Kill A King and blissful harmonies that are just as successful in the live setting. It opens with Ralph’s whispery voice leading us gently into the track before it erupts in the chorus as he sings the foreboding lyrics: ‘we’re not kidding anyone except ourselves’. The track oozes indie greatness and is a great follow up from the equally brilliant Word of Mouth EP from 2012. I’m sure this track will leave you wanting and lead to further excitement for the upcoming debut album.

8/10

Cannibals with Cutlery is out 24th February 2013.