Preview: Reading Festival 2012

0

This year’s Reading Festival is just around the corner so now’s the time to get excited and prepare yourself for a fantastic time at one of the UK’s best festivals. Reading gets bigger and better every year and the three headliners this year really are pretty legendary: The Cure, Kasabian and Foo Fighters. The Main Stage line up really is fit for a king! Each act could easily play a sell out show here in the UK and maybe even other parts of the world. Personally I’m looking forward to seeing OFWGKTA, I cannot wait to see what Tyler the Creator and co. have to offer this year, however, if you’re easily offended I would steer clear of their set. The list of great acts goes on and on, The Vaccines, Paramore, All Time Low and You Me At Six to name a few. The punters at the 22nd Reading Festival are going to be more than spoilt for choice!

The Maccabees

On the NME/Radio1 Stage the headliners are almost equally as impressive with the likes of The Maccabees gracing it. However, for all of those you are planning on gaining a full experience from Reading I would highly recommend spending your days galavanting around the site hoping to catch a glimpse of all the amazing smaller acts that are on (perhaps instead of getting obliterated in your tent?). Howler and Pure Love are some to watch out for and make sure you see the fantastic SBTRKT. Also straight off the back of Olympic Opening Ceremony success Alex Trimble and co. of Two Door Cinema Club will be playing on the Sunday.

Bastille

Check out the Festival Republic stage, Alt-J, Bastille, Lucy Rose, Dog is Dead– with a list that goes on and on, you will almost certainly find something new and exciting. (And maybe even a new favourite band!) Well established bands such as Feeder and The View are in amongst new, up and coming bands on the bill. I would personally recommend making the effort to see Dry The River. Their emotion filled live performance is something you shouldn’t miss. Young Guns will be sure to put on a great show, and seeing as they are at most festivals this summer, all those avid festival-goers are bound to catch them at some point.

Metronomy

The Lock Up Stage and Dance Stage play host to the legendary Less Than Jake, who’s career spans over a good 10 years, alongside brand new bands such as Clement Marfo and The Frontline who are only just breaking into the mainstream. It is a spectacular array of music suitable for everyone. A personal recommendation has to go to Metronomy who are headlining the dance stage on Saturday night. If you get the chance to catch their set you will be blown away by their thrilling live performance. In fact, the line up on the Dance Stage on Saturday includes some other awesome acts such as Azealia Banks and Modestep.

For more information, the full Reading Festival line up and exclusive interviews check out the official website.

Share.

About Author

I’m Megan Downing, an English Literature graduate from University of Southampton. I am the Music, Arts and Culture Editor for The National Student. I am the Membership and Communications Officer for the Student Publication Association, I write about music for 7BitArcade, and contribute regularly to The Culture Trip. I have a passion for live music and this is where I began in student journalism. Reviewing a gig or festival is still where my heart lies four years on. I will be starting at MTV as a News Intern in June 2015. One thing you should know about me is that I have an unhealthy obsession with Kevin Spacey.

Leave A Reply